Ah yes, Super Bowl Sunday, the billion dollar and fat bowl. Have you seen the recipes on morning news shows? Just yesterday, I glanced up to see a Today Show foodie suggesting four recipes which could surely bring on a heart attack for an over-excited fan. Have I lost those of you already that just want to have fun eating and think this article might be the grub spoiler? Stick around.
Get Your Rear in Gear wants to challenge you this Sunday to dress up your table with some healthier options and to move your booty more than Madonna. No, it won’t take a lot of work and we promise it won’t stop you from having fun. Grab a piece of paper right now or hit “print” on this page or if you have a fancy phone and feel green – keep this link and share it!
The Super Cancer Fighting Bowl Game is all about the highest score board!
Load up the table with one or two of these super cancer fighting foods:
1. Tomatoes =(2) or pick lean ground turkey over ground hamburger with onion and lettuce =( 7) Use a whole-wheat/whole grain bun = (3)
2. Watermelon =(3)
3. Cabbage/Carrot Slaw = (3)- 1 T vinegar, 1 T reduced mayo , 1 cup of shredded cabbage/carrots
4. Finger snacks: Peppers, dried apricots, sunflower seeds or nuts = (7)
5. Blueberries and strawberries = (3)
6. Pasta/Bean/Broccoli Salad = 3/4 cup whole wheat pasta, about 162 calories 1/4 cup drained kidney beans, about 51 calories 2/3 cup of broccoli, about 33 calories. For taste, 1 tablespoon of reduced calorie Italian salad dressing, about 56 calories. A better and healthier dressing option with Omega 3 may have more calories, but better than artificial sweeteners used in low calorie dressing is –balsamic vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard and a little garlic. (10)
7. Choose fresh salsa over store bought sour cream dip = (3)
8. Raw Veggie & Hummus Dip = 1&1/2 cups of garbanzo beans, 3 tsp minced garlic, 3 tbs low-fat plain yogurt, ¼ tsp salt, 4 tbs lemon juice, ¼ tahini paste, 1tbs chopped parsley, 4 green onions, 3 tbs of dices red bell pepper and pepper to taste = (10)
9. Share a healthy recipe with us today or tomorrow = (21)
Move your booty more than Madonna!
1. Dance for 30 minutes Friday night or Saturday night = (7); do it for 60 minutes = (14); do it both nights, double the points!
2. Dance the entire time Madonna is playing instead of watching her and filing a complaint = (21)
3. Run or do a brisk walk for 30 minutes on Friday, Saturday or Sunday = (7); do it for 60 minutes = (14); do it every day, triple the points!
4. Are you running/walking/volunteering/biking for a cause this weekend? Give yourself (21)
5. Help in the kitchen = (7); Cook a healthy dish = (7); Clean = (14)
6. Play a game of football with your friends and family prior to the game = (21)
7. Sit on the couch or easy chair the entire game only to get up for fat food and beer (-75)
Okay now, wasn’t this challenge easy? I’m in! Are you in for this game? Share your recipes! Say, “I’m in today!” Tell us your score on Monday! Share this Super Cancer Fighting Bowl now !