AND NOW A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR, WITH AN IMPORTANT UPDATE ABOUT COLONOSCOPY PREP.
As you may know, March celebrates Colon Cancer Awareness Month. This is a perfect time to learn more about bowel preps and how they have evolved for patients preparing for their colonoscopy.
In the past, bowel preps required you to drink up to 4 liters of medicine in order to prepare for a colonoscopy. Along with high volume, they were also known to have unpleasant taste. Salix recognizes the importance of colonoscopies and does not want patients to avoid getting one because of the fear or dread of the prep. That is why PLENVU® (PEG 3350, sodium ascorbate, sodium sulfate, ascorbic acid, sodium chloride, and potassium chloride for oral solution) was created. PLENVU is the first and only 1-liter PEG bowel prep. Over time, preps have changed volume and flavors to accommodate patient needs.
How have bowel preps evolved?
YEAR VOLUME OF ACTIVE SOLUTION* REQUIRED CLEAR LIQUIDS* TOTAL VOLUME*
It is important to stay hydrated throughout the bowel prep process.
*Volumes are based on Prescribing Information for each bowel prep.
PLENVU® (polyethylene glycol 3350, sodium ascorbate, sodium sulfate, ascorbic acid, sodium chloride, and potassium chloride for oral solution) is a prescription medication used by adults to clean the colon before a colonoscopy.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
- Do not take PLENVU if you have a blockage in your intestine (bowel obstruction), an opening in the wall of your stomach or intestine (bowel perforation), problems with food or fluid emptying from your stomach (gastric retention), a problem with food moving too slowly through your intestines (ileus), a very dilated large intestine, or an allergy to any of the ingredients in PLENVU.
- It is important to drink sufficient clear liquids before, during, and after the use of PLENVU. Be sure to consume additional clear liquids after the first dose and second dose of PLENVU. Stop drinking liquids 2 hours prior to colonoscopy.
Please see additional Important Safety Information below and click here for full Prescribing Information.
PLENVU was created with you in mind:
- Less medicine: PLENVU is 1 liter of active medicine. Other leading bowel preps have up to 4 liters of active medicine
- 2 different flavors to avoid taste fatigue: mango (Dose 1) and fruit punch (Dose 2)*
- 2× as many people found the taste “very acceptable” compared with those who took another leading bowel prep†,‡
Ask your doctor if PLENVU is right for you.
Together, during Colon Cancer Awareness Month, we can make a difference by spreading the word about the importance of colon cancer screening.
*Both doses are required to complete the prep.
†Based on diary ratings given by patients who took PLENVU or Suprep® during a clinical trial. There were no differences between the ratings given for easy to follow instructions, easy to drink, effectiveness of bowel cleansing, and interference with normal daily activities.
‡Very acceptable: 15.2%, PLENVU vs 7.5%, Suprep.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION (continued)
- Before you take PLENVU, talk to your doctor if you:
- Have problems with serious loss of body fluid (dehydration) and changes in blood salts (electrolytes).
- Have heart problems or take medication that affects your heart. Your doctor may consider obtaining an electrocardiogram (ECG) test if you are at an increased risk for heart rhythm abnormalities.
- Have a history of seizures or take antiseizure medication.
- Have kidney problems or take medication that affects kidney function. Your doctor may want to perform blood testing before and after your colonoscopy.
- Have a history of stomach or bowel problems, such as ulcerative colitis, a bowel blockage, or a suspected opening in the wall of your stomach or intestine.
- Have problems swallowing, heartburn (gastric reflux), or if you inhale food or fluid into your lungs when eating or drinking (aspirate).
- Have a condition that destroys red blood cells, called glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency.
- Are withdrawing from drinking alcohol.
- Have phenylketonuria (PKU). PLENVU contains aspartame equivalent to 491 mg of phenylalanine per treatment.
- Are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- Are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed.
- PLENVU may affect how other medications work. Tell your doctor about all other medications (including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements) you take before you take PLENVU. Do not take oral medications within 1 hour before or after starting each dose of PLENVU.
- Symptoms of serious allergic reactions may include skin rash, itching, raised red patches on your skin (hives), swelling of the face, lips, tongue, and throat, and kidney problems.
- In clinical studies with PLENVU, the most common side effects in patients taking PLENVU were nausea, vomiting, dehydration, and abdominal pain/discomfort.
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
For product information, adverse event reports, and product complaint reports, please contact:
Salix Product Information Call Center
Please click here for full Prescribing Information, including Medication Guide and Instructions for Use.
PLENVU is a registered trademark of the Norgine group of companies used under license. The Salix logo and “Little PEG” female character are trademarks of Salix Pharmaceuticals affiliated entities. Any other product/brand names and/or logos are trademarks of their respective owners.
PLV.0079.USA.19 ©2019 Salix Pharmaceuticals or its affiliates March 2019