Faces of Blue: Matt Moore

Posted by | October 11, 2017 | Faces of Blue | 7 Comments
Matt and son Cullen

We met in college selling shoes at a department store. Late closing shifts led to lots of talking about life. We soon became really good friends and fell in love. Together we listened to our college professors teach about the world, we were taught by our peers about social norms, and we dreamed big. The world was at our fingertips.

Matt and Nikki MooreWe did what we were “supposed” to: we graduated from college, went to grad school, began working, bought a home, and discovered what it was like to “adult.” Then the “quarter-life crisis” hit for both of us. Suddenly our talks turned to “this is it?!” We were both miserable. After a year of misery, corporate frustration, and lots of tears, we had a “come to Jesus talk” and developed a plan.

The results? We both started our dream businesses (a financial firm and a mental health private practice). We hustled, encouraged each other, and one by one my client load grew and the cold calls from Matt’s home office turned into clients. Suddenly, our conversations began to highlight the change we both felt. We were happier!! We took a giant leap of faith in hopes of more fulfillment, meaning, and connection in life. And it was working!!! Then we got engaged, married and before we knew it, we were expecting our first child.Matt with newborn son

Things were chugging along, a little stressful, especially for Matt at times as his business grew and merged, and then all the sudden something changed. Matt’s mood, energy….something was deeply off. My happy-go- lucky husband was missing that pep in his step.

At the end of October 2015, after visiting with friends, Matt shared with me that he thought he had colon cancer. I rolled my eyes and reminded him of the last time he self diagnosed himself with heart attacks on Web MD… only to find out he pulled a muscle when weight lifting. He got really serious and shared with me some personal things – sudden changes in bowl movements, cramping, fatigue, and blood in his stools. I could see the fear in his eyes.

Matt with son Cullen.Fast forward to December 8, 2015. Matt’s doctor walked into the room after Matt’s colonoscopy and said those earth-shattering words: “Matt has colon cancer.” I looked at Matt over my 7th month pregnant belly in complete disbelief. Then the results of the CT scan were in…stage IV…tumors in the liver, with no ability to operate. How could this be?!? Matt was 32 years old!!! Doctor appointments, port surgery, chemo, scans….things suddenly went into fight mode. And as fast as things moved they also slowed down to the present moment. The noise of keeping up with your peers: the big house, boat, vacations, newest technology – none of it mattered.

We began to cherish every moment and find deep enjoyment in every holiday, milestone, and connecting time as if it could be our last. Our life and priorities forever changed! Life’s uncertainty was loud and clear, but its beauty became quietly radiant. These lessons of enjoying life and the power of kindness as it was generously exchanged to us and from us came to the forefront of our life. We were finally living the life we emotionally and spiritually yearned for and dreamed of as college kids. Though we never would have imagined it coming in the form of cancer!
FOB_3332

One weekend while laying in bed recovering from chemo, Matt began designing T- shirts as a creative outlet. We sat together and talked about our journey and life lessons. If we could teach the world one thing from our experience it would be to “Live Moore!” (Moore, after Matt’s last name). You never know what will happen tomorrow, so travel, take risks, go on adventures, spend time with loved ones, check things off the bucket list, do fulfilling activities, create, connect, enjoy, love, be, and simply LIVE Moore! This birthed the message that Matt and I hoped to share and pass on to others.

FOB_3592
On April 25, 2017, Matt took his final breath of earthly air and descended into the angel world. He left behind a 14 month baby boy, wife, sister, mother, father, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, brother-in- laws, mother-in- law, father-in- law, countless friends, and a legacy to share with the world: Live Moore!

To read more of Matt and Nikki’s story, and see the legacy Matt has left behind, visit livemooreco.com. You can also hear him explain it himself in the video below.

View Our Comment Policy

Comment Policy:

We encourage interaction, discussion, commentary, questions and even criticism but respectfully ask that comments and posts are kept relevant and respectful. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, racism, spamming and excessive posting/commenting will not be tolerated. The Colon Cancer Coalition / Get Your Rear in Gear reserves the right to remove any comment or ban any user for any reason. We reserve the right to move discussions offline and to delete excessive comments to improve the overall visitor experience.

Get Your Rear in Gear reserves the right to remove comments advertising commercial products, comments that are inaccurate, or may be otherwise objectionable.

We will not post form letters with the same content from multiple users.

Relevant comments on previously published posts are always welcome.

7 Comments

• Andrew Albert says:

Such a powerful video and story. Thank you for sharing.

• Kate Cullen says:

It is both a devistating story and a beautiful reminder to live each day with fulfillment and appreciation. Thank you, Nikki for being brave sharing your story so the world will make the choice to LIVE Moore!

• Rebecca Frey says:

Beautiful story! I think of it, your family, and your message so often!

• Wendy Klocko says:

This breaks my heart, having lost my husband to cancer at 43, and knowing Matt’s parents. Love the message of taking advantage of what time we have. Tomorrow is never guaranteed!

• James Wood says:

It’s great to see your happiness with him turn into a message that gets people to pursue their own happiness proactively. I think that’s one of the greatest things anybody could ever do to change the world. You guys brought that beauty into the world and then passed it on

• Shirley Carnahan says:

What a wonderful tribute to your beautiful husband and father of your child. I know Matt’s parents and if Matt was anything like they are he must have been a jewel. I never got to say goodbye to my husband. He left and didn’t come home and I had thre little boys 3, 5 and 8 to explain why daddy wasn’t coming home anymore. Thank you for giving me courage to still make the best of what is left of my life. I now have six wonderful grandchildren and they are the joy of my life. Yes that is 46 years of LIVEmoore. Love and prayers for a wonderful life. God Bless.

• So sorry for the tragic turn your journey took. Connor, our beautiful, intelligent, wonderful son died Sept. 2, 2016 in the hospital at the age of 23. Connors cancer journey so terrible. He was diagnosed Feb. 5, 2016 with colorectal cancer at the age of 22. Mistakes made along the way. In the beginning we were told he would live to be an old man. Then 5 months later we were told the cancer tricked them and the cancer got away from them and they were not going to treat him anymore. He had 3 major surgeries, 5 chemo treatments and then after he endured so much pain to survive they just gave up on him. On July 15th we started contacting other hospitals to seek treatment elsewhere. The palliative team said they would do a nerve block on him to help cut his pain before he was discharged. That evening he told his dad he needed to keep hanging on. Connor had plans, he had goals to help others The procedure was planned for July 18, 2016. On July 18th they wheeled him away. I said “bye buddy I will see you in a few hours and then we can get out of here. ” Proper precautions were not taken and Connor aspirated. When the aspiration first happened they didn’t realize how much liquid he had aspirated and they told me they had to put him on a ventilator but it would only be a couple of hours. Then a bit later we were called to the ICU to be told that he would be dead in an hour due to the low oxygen levels. Can you imagine? So horrific, really no words to describe the shock. I mean in minutes we were suffocating with grief. They told us even if he survived he would be brain dead, his organs would fail. It was horrific. But Connor wanted to live so badly. He was strong and he held on. After the aspiration he tried so hard to hang on, but due to the aspiration he developed multiple infections, pneumonia, his kidneys stopped working and he went on dialysis.
    We prayed and prayed for a miracle. For him to come home. Over the days and weeks that followed in the ICU there was no compassion, no understanding that we were on the verge of losing our son and we were grasping for a miracle. We were made to feel we were bad parents for holding onto hope that Connor would recover. Almost every day they wanted us to withdraw life support. at one meeting the doctor said “so how much longer are we going to continue this? We had to give him 3 units of blood yesterday.” Through the infections etc. Connor did regain consciousness, he was able to communicate with us through blinking his eyes, wiggling his toes, eventually he got to the point where he could raise his arms to get our attention, he could squeeze our hands and was able to point to words on a poster board. These were gifts to us. Connor typed on his computer to let us know he wanted to live and to fight. So how in the heck were we suppose to just withdraw life support.? WE are still in shock how this all played out. With the aspiration our chance to fight the cancer was taken away from us, our chance to bring our son home taken away from us. We never heard his voice again, could not have a conversation again. His future, hopes, dreams, and life taken away from him.

Connor graduated from Magna cum Laude from Ohio State in 2015 with a degree in Public Health. He was going to start grad school Fall of 2016 to get his masters in Public Health. Instead we buried him. I have been an advocate for colorectal cancer since 2004 when my dear friend passed away in 2004. i have been fighting and trying to raise awareness for the early onset of colorectal cancer since 2004. I started a 5k race that has raised 1000’s of dollars for colorectal programs in central Ohio. So the fact that this cancer occured in our 22 year old son is just crazy. Connor and I were suppose to travel to D.C. in March for FIGHT COLORECTAL CANCER Call on Congress. He was with me in spirit. While there I met one of the speakers who was with The Colorado School of Public Health. I asked if there was any way I could get his essay that he had submitted for admission. I was just desparate to find anything with his thoughts and feelings. That request made in March, and with a follow up email a few weeks later. July18, 2017 was one year that Connor aspirated. A year that our world fell apart with the aspiration. That day last week so so hard for me. That day in my email was an attachment from Colorado School of Public Health. It was Connors essay. That was his sign to us to keep going. to keep living for him and for us. To keep his hopes, dreams, legacy alive. We are trying to hang on to live our life here on earth until we are reunited with Connor in heaven. I will keep all of you in prayers. I am now on the advisory board for Never2young to stop this cancer in our young people