It’s Week 5 of the Summer Strength Challenge!
It’s week 5 and you’re doing great! Sami has more cardio in store for you this week as well as some new abdominal work outs. The vanilla oatmeal protein cookies will help fuel your workout and your sweet tooth!
How is your endurance? Are you completing the exercises 3-5 days this week, are you at 5 days a week yet? As you continue to get stronger, challenge yourself. Keep track your exercises each day and appreciate the improvement you are making!
Let’s Get Started!*
FITNESS | Up-Down
1 min work followed by seconds of rest. 3 rounds.
This full body exercise is a great way to build strength and increase your heart rate with little to no equipment. It can be adapted for all levels.
Simple Up-Down Tips
- Beginner/Intermediate: start near firm chair or bench.
- Beginners walk your feet in and out. Intermediate jump both feet out behind you. Use a wider foot position if your hips or ankles are not very flexible.
- Advanced – bend down to the floor before jumping your feet out behind you.
- For all levels, keep your shoulders directly above your hands when your body is extended behind you.
- Keep your core muscles engaged throughout the movement so your hips don’t sag or pike up.
- Stand up completely at the end of each repetition and squeeze your glutes.
CORE | Butterfly Sit Up
Complete as many repetitions as possible in 2 min.
This position of sit ups removes the thighs and hip flexor muscles and let your abdominals do the work! This position targets the rectus abdominus muscle often known as your “6-pack.” This important muscle helps your body stand straight and supports your spine and lower back. When this muscle gets weak, it puts a lot of stress on the lower back during exercise.
Simple Butterfly Sit Up tips
- Start with the bottoms of your feet together or as close as possible. Extend your legs as needed to get into this position.
- Your legs should be in a diamond shape. The more flexible you are, the closer your heels are towards your hips.
- Use a rolled-up towel or mat to provide low back support.
- For beginner to intermediate, lean back with the arms across your chest. The depth should be only as far as you can control the movement. The movement is finished when your torso is just past vertical towards the feet.
- For advanced, drop your shoulders to the floor with your arms overhead. When you return to starting, try to touch the middle of your foot.
NUTRITION | Vanilla Oatmeal Protein Cookies
When you are looking for a pre-workout snack, it’s important to eat something that will fuel you, not slow you down. Easy to digest carbs and protein and low fat put fuel into the body without bogging down your stomach. These easy to make and portable protein cookies are will help you speed up not slow down!
1 ripe banana
1 cup of oats (any kind except steel cut)
1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder. (If you use a vegan source, add 2 Tbsp of water or almond milk)
2 tablespoons of raw pumpkin seeds (or sunflower seeds)
2 tablespoons of raisins
1/2 cup of canned full fat coconut milk
- Mash up your banana with a fork.
- Mix all the ingredients together into a bowl, including the mashed banana.
- Put some cooking spray on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Scoop one spoonful at a time of the mixture onto the baking sheet, then smash down into circles.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees, until you reach desired “done-ness.”
- Store in the fridge for up to one week.
For 8 cookies.
Fat: 4 g
RECOVERY | Chest Opener
1 min each side
- Lie face down on the floor. Use a mat or towel for cushion as needed.
- Extend your right one arm out to the side in a “T” position with the palm facing down.
- Push your left hand against the floor near your chest and slowly rotate your upper body into your extended right-side arm.
- You should feel this in the front of the chest and down the extended arm.
Go get it this week!
If you have questions along the way simply comment on a Facebook or Instagram post about the challenge, or reach out to Sami and Jerry through the links below the video.
If you’re a colorectal cancer survivor in the Kansas City area and interested in participating in a Cancer Wellness for Life class, you can connect through the WeBuild4Life website.
*As with any exercise program, talk to your doctor before starting.