Help increase awareness and screening of colon cancer.

Donate
952.378.1237

Survivor Story: Stacy Bennett

Survivor Stacy Bennett and familyI was diagnosed with aggressive rectal cancer on September 15, 2014. I underwent chemo and radiation for 6 weeks, then had surgery to remove tumor January 8, 2015 and ended up with a temporary ileostomy bag for 10 months. I had clean up chemo for 8 weeks. I was supposed to have 16 weeks, but my kidneys and liver started to shut down, so treatment was abruptly stopped. I healed for several months, and then in September 2015, I had my reversal surgery. Recovery has been challenging, as my body has not yet regulated itself, and I have many ” clustering” days, along with rectal spasms, but I am here to say that I am alive, and learning to live with my new normal. Life is good.

Join the discussion 53 Comments

• annamarie says:

Stacy I was diagnosed with rectum cancer in February and have undergone surgery and 6 weeks of chemo ,radiation treatments and it appears that there has been no reoccurence but I have decided to
    Take chemo pills for several additional weeks Kas a precaution and will have the reversal surgery as welll I hope I’ve made the right decision.anna

• Ruth says:

God bless us all who suffer fron this cancer.I went in fir a gallbladder removal and cancer has spread to my liver and intestines. I had a tumor, chemo surgery and I was in remission for 2 years now its back and again spread to behind my stomach. I will survive with Gods help I might get Keytruda a new medicine its better than chemo

• Elaine Perez says:

Did you have cancer before the surgery or it came after? also what were your symptoms. i just had my gallbladder removed back in march because it was close to rupturing, and after i have very sever stomach pains have just dropped in weight like crazy. I’m a little scared also im 29 yrs old.

• Margaret H Hollis says:

Still around Ruth? I hope your healed and thriving.

• Margaret H Hollis says:

I HAD MY GALLBLADDER REMOVED SEPT 2015. SINCE THEN. I’VE HAD DIGESTIVE ISSUES AND NOW A MASS IN MY RECTUM. AWAITING RESULTS.

• Robert Raap says:

In 2010 I was diagnosed with malignant colorectal cancer.
          Scopic removal of tumor and colorectal area left me feeling strange, uneasy, uncomfortable…..

The mass grew to 10.6 cm and discovered six months later.
          Six weeks of radiation then major Surgery with temporary bypass.
          Six months chemotherapy 13 infusions of folfox.
          Before the last infusion I was rushed to emergency with no BP and total shutdown of kidneys. Very concerned Urologists claimed both kidneys were bad. They were Wrong and I knew it somehow.
          Body fought back to health, was out 3 days later to complete last infusion.
          Treatment left me with permanent neuropathic pain and chronic fatigue. I told oncologist I felt the same as I did after first removal with fear of regrowing pressure. She claimed i was recovering in total remission.
          I knew she was wrong some how but didn’t want to be pessimistic, who would?
          Well stoma was removed and I was reconnected in mid 2013.
          I experienced more discomfort and continuous pain for 8 unbearable months while being told it’s a normal adjustment period, all the while pressure from growth was slowly cutting off colon and urine functions.
          I was finally rushed too emergency for septic surgery, was not fun.
          A week later mid 2014 I lost my prostate, bladder, rectum and sigmoid. After finally concluding my cancer was genetic and scheduling another two hundred thousand dollar chemotherapy, I said What??
          it’s just routine the oncologist said.
          Well I finally had enough.
          It’s Shocking to realize it’s our bodies systems that keep us alive every second that we exist here.
          Feeling safe under hospital care was replaced with fear.
          I can decide what I need from now on.
          After a few experts were called in and claimed I wouldn’t live 6 months without treatment. I had them all tongue tied when I delivered facts of “Quality of life being much more important than giving a couple more years of what I had just experienced, we are all mortal and we all eventually expire. Your giving no cure because there is none and it’s quite possible cancer as they call it is what’s keeping me alive, fighting some unknown man made poison I may have inherited genetically.
          I said no to chemo and they offered no argument.
          Four years later I am living with the neuropathy and occasional kidneys shutting down thanks to the (folfox) A 1st and only chemotherapy I never should have had. THAT DID ME ONLY HARM and NO help.
          Now Disabled and on early retirement but I survived the poisoning chemicals that damage many good cells.
          I know now that interfering with systems in our body is WRONG in so many ways.

• Victoria says:

Ruth I love your optimism, was diagnosed June of this year, have a temporary ileostomy, just started chemo. May God continue to give us all the strength to cope.

• Russ says:

Hi ,
      I have just come out of hospital (tue) after having colorectal surgery following 27 episodes of chemo & radiation !
      Was in hosp 8 days , i am know at a loss as to how much liquids / types of food and amounts i should he having ! Anyone with a diet they followed ?
      Very lethargic and dont feel im winning this round !

• Felix Paul says:

Stacy, your positive attitudes will help you go through your hard journey safely. My best wishes to you for a speedy and complete recovery.

• Peter Morgan says:

I was diagnosed with colon cancer in October 2011. Tumor had broken out of colon and grown into stomach wall. Had urgent surgery followed by 12 doses of chemo over 5 months. Cutting tumor out of stomach wall resulted in incissional herna. Two operations to repair (first was a failure). Have bulge in lower left of stomach. Test for colon cancer was clear end Nov 15 but at same time diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer. I’m nearly 61 and now just taking it easy and travelling around S E Asia. No point in worrying.

• Nadia says:

How you doing now ? What are you taking now ?

• Robert Raap says:

I’m also 61 and 8 years treatments surviver and was given a 6 month death sentence after refusing a 2nd type of chemo poison. That was four years ago.
      Quality of life while we are here is most important.
      We all expire, need to make the best of the time we have.

• Sandy says:

Hi Robert,what regimen do you follow now? I would love to forgo traditional treatment and am researching natural protocols.

• Emilio aguilar says:

How was the cancer initially detected?

• Sandy says:

Hi Robert can I ask what you do to stay well now? I would love to feel able to say no to traditional treatment😝😉

• Irene Mcclary says:

I was admitted to the hospital because of abnormal heart rate. Medicine I was given to treat this made me hemorrhage from rectum. Was give a colonoscopy. Results were abnormal. Was give colon surgery. Part of my colon was removed. Mass was contained in part removed. It was stage one colon cancer. I don’t have to have lemon or anything. I feel truly blessed.

• Tunrayo says:

Hello Irene,I was diagnosed of stage 1 colon cancer. I have undergone surgery, do I need to do chemotherapy again?

• Bobby says:

God bless you, Stacy!! One of my relatives diagnosed at age 38 with stage 4 colon cancer in December 2015. Now she is completely fine. http://colorectalsurgeon.sydney/

• Reji says:

My mom has colon cancer,she was operated in 2013 and had stage 3c . And took chemo for weeks.later in 2015 she had recurrence.hence was operated again.v den thought she won’t ‘ve any recurrence again.but now again her blood test(serum cea test) shows some negative result.it’s above the ref level.v are all too scared.havin a very bad time.doc has asked for a pet-ct.too worried

• Peggy says:

Hi, I’m new here, wondering how your doing, and how your mom is? Hope she is fighting and winning. For me,I always wonder if it has returned. Thoughts are with you.. ?

• Reji says:

Please do help me with this situation. Am extremely scared about wat wud the scan result be like.having my fingers crosssed.I blv Jesus Wil b der wit all of us

• Christine says:

My husband has just been diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer…he still has to pass an MRI and PET scan to determine if what they saw on his liver and lungs are metastases. We are extremely scared. The tumor in his rectom has grown through and has attached to the bone somehow…so surgery will only be after chemo…in the hopes that it shrinks so they can remove it…prayers and positive thoughts is what we have for now.

• Paul says:

Hello Chrisrtine
      I think the most inportant thing is for you as a couple is to keep positive. Although things don’t look good why not extend it a few years by keeping it positive. All the best Paul

• Dianne says:

My husband was diagnosed last May with stage IV colon cancer the spots in liver and lungs have shrunk to almost non visible on Ct scan.
      They had to due surgery as his mass was near blockage he did well and has chemo for a year and now another year a lighter version of chemo. His dr believes if chemo is stopped too soon it almost 99% will be back hang in there we cried prayed and studied a lot.

• Christine says:

Hey Christine,

How is your Husband now?

• I was diagnosed with colon-rectal cancer in October of 2013, I had my procedure in December of 2013, I was rehabbed for almost two years: I am finishing my degree in computer science, I stil havel my dumping syndrome, with fifteen percent of my kidney removed and almost half of my colon removed, life is good. I am alive

• Ana Perez says:

I m 45 and was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer. How I found out I had the big C ? . I was healthy I thought, feeling energetic no pains, just a little constipated nothing overwhelming. One night went to restroom and noticed lots of blood in my feces, following day again but blood had become dark clotted. So I went immediately to see a Doctor, had a colonoscopy and there it was. Ct scan showed it had not spread to other organs, had surgery part of my colon removed 2/18 limph nodes found positive. I will be starting adjuvant chemotherapy tomorrow 5/15/17 it will last 6 months. I’m blessed because out all this experience, things are getting better and better. I m praying to the Lord for peace in our hearts courage and strength to continue this path which we never thought we would be walking on. My God bless us all.

• Gloria Austerberry says:

Hi my situation is similar to yours diagnosed stage 3 rectal tumour June 2017.Had anterior resection and temporary ileostomy.I had no spread to the lymph glands but some spread to surrounding blood vessels.I am having mop up chemo in a week.You are further on than me just wanted to know how you are doing now.Best wishes Gloria

• Rachel says:

Hi Ana. I hope you are doing well. I, much like you, felt fine and no symptoms at all. I did not even notice blood in my stool. I went for a routine yearly follow up with my primary care dr and my hemoglobin was found to be 6.4. The dr was alarmed at me being asymptotic (aside from I had an incredible craving for crushed ice) with a hemoglobin of 6.4 but the hematologist determined my body had just learned to compensate with the low hemoglobin. Once my hemoglobin was brought back to normal we needed to find where the bleeding was occurring. I had a colonoscopy and there was a mass. I went through colon resection surgery without any problems however was found to have lymph node involvement. I am now on chemo regimen of folfox. An infusion every 2 weeks for 6 months. I just completed my 5th round and have to say the side effects hit me hard this time. I just turned 45 and have 2 elementary aged children at home….fighting to keep up with family life until this nightmare is over.

• Linda says:

Hi Anna,
      If you are still on here I was just wondering if you were having constipation for awhile. I am constipated all the time and I am very concerned.
      Thank you. Hope you are doing well.

• anna marie oneill says:

It has been over 2 months since my reversal surgery for colon rectal cancer and I still have periods of diarrhea will it ever get better in any way?

• Erin Peterson says:

Hi Anna, Thanks for reaching out, but this answer is best asked to your medical team. Everyone’s situation is different so I wouldn’t want to comment and give you any false info. Good Luck!

• Gabrielle says:

My mum has been recently diagnosed with colon 3b cancer and starting chemo in 2 weeks after having half bowel removed 3 weeks ago. She is 78 years old l am worried what the chemo will do to her. I know there is really no other option.my question is should she try the tablets or the drip. She is in 2 minds and very confused at the moment. Dr has recommended drip and leaning towards that but would like any thoughts or advice. Cheers Gabrielle

• Aabir says:

God Bless All of Us

• Ron Waters says:

Hi!
    I’m Ron Waters
    My brother, is like most Americans. He has worked hard all his life to support his family, pay his bills, and support his church. He has worked for the same company for over 34 years. He is a veteran of the U.S. Army. He was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lymphoma cancer recently. His medical bills are astronomical, and his health insurance is not the greatest. I set up a GoFundMe page for him to attempt to raise funds to help him pay all the bills and to make his life a little less difficult. So, please find it in your heart to help someone who deserves it.
    Less or More, you can donate via the following: https://www.gofundme.com/garycwaters.
    Thank You! May God bless You!

• Kenneth Laura says:

On May 12, 2016, I had my first colonoscopy at the age of 25. I knew in my heart they would find something. The doctor told me after the procedure I had what he believed to be a cancerous polyp in my rectum. He also told me he suspected it had metastasized to other parts of my body and suspected it was a late stage cancer. He had nothing to back this up other than the colonoscopy. He ordered a PET scan and blood tests. Dr. Greeff immediately referred me to a wound care nurse, who started to educate us on what a colostomy and stomp were. I couldn’t listen, I couldn’t look. My husband saw what was going on with me and asked the nurse to slow down because this had been pretty devastating news for both of us. That’s when she turned to me and asked if I was a Christian. I had always been, but for some reason that day, I hesitated. I didn’t know where my faith was. I still believed, but I felt I had lost my way. I know today that God took me to hospital to get my feet back on the right path again, and it started with that wound care nurse. After the prayer, I had a whole different outlook and was able to listen and talk about it. I felt like the sadness had gone away. I realized that God really works in our lives when we least expect it, but when we most need it. I did all kinds of treatment but it did’t work on me, Than the care nurse told me to try out herbal herbs and than my husband seek for herbs till we got to know Dr Odia, He was a herbalist we told him my problem and he prepare for me herbs which I used for a month and it did work out for me. There is no need for anyone to have a date stamped on their forehead when they’re diagnosed with cancer. I would encourage anyone to seek a second opinion, and especially so if they’ve been told there’s no hope. It’s also crucial to learn as much as you can about your diagnosis. Seek options. Find out about what’s out there that could help. Contact Dr Odia via(drodiaherbalistcenter gmail com).
    All thanks to Dr Odia and the wound care nurse.

• Lori H. says:

I was almost 60, in Feb. 2017, when I was diagnosed with stage 4 colorectal cancer with a liver met. and possible lung met. Because I was almost totally blocked by the tumor in my rectum, I had a colostomy done. I named my stoma Rascal because, as my daughter said, it was like having my own personal unpredictable Whoopie cushion! Then, I received 7 rounds of FOLFOX and Avastin at the Block Center in Skokie, Illinois. They have a great website. I chose the Block center because they provide a number of high dose supplements by IV, in my case they included high dose Vitamin c, Curcumin, a multivitamin mix (not including B vitamins), etc. The main reason I went there is because they are the only place in the United States that uses cronomodulated chemotherapy delivery. You can read about that on their site. I had fatigue for several days after each round, and slight nausea which the pills always took care of. My rounds were every two weeks.
    After 7 rounds, I was ct scanned, and my tumors had shrunk quite a bit. 6 weeks later I had 20 days’ dosage of radiation in 5 days at Cleveland Clinic. I was told the compressed time frame helps reduce side effects. My radiation treatments were only about 8 minutes long each morning for a week, then done. A week later I had strong fatigue for about 20 minutes. That is the only side effect.
    A week later, I had surgery to remove the colorectal tumor, and the colorectal cancer tumor in my liver. The lung spot had shrunk quite a bit after chemo and was too small to biopsy. They left it alone as it was concluded it was another type of nodule, non cancerous. During this surgery they reversed my colostomy but gave me an ileostomy (which I named Little Rascal) ( 4 weeks after surgery I developed very strong neuropathy in my finger tips, mouth, and feet. I had had very light neuropathy while taking chemo, which always went away by the next round. 9 weeks after my surgery, my cancer team at Cleveland Clinic put me on 5FU (part of the Folfox minus the oxalliplatin-which is the culprit for the neuropathy.) I did not finish my chemo and treatments at the Block Center because my surgery had not yet healed and they wanted me to stay close to my colorectal surgeon. So my last 5 rounds were done at Cleveland Clinic. My CEA blood test had dropped into low normal range by now. I had absolutely great docs at Cleveland Clinic and at the Block Center, both. In February of 2018 I had another CT scan which showed no more cancer.
    In June of 2018, I had surgery to reverse or retire Little Rascal. There was a complication so I ended up with ‘New Rascal’ on my other side, as they had already closed Little Rascal. In a week I will have my first 6 month follow up CT scan to see if I have any cancer recurrence.
    My hair never fell out, but after all my chemo was done, it did turn gray. And it got thin for a while due to breaking off near the roots. My oncologist said chemo can weaken the hair shafts and cause it to break off rather than fall out. I was never hairless. It began growing back and not breaking off about a month ago. Still gray though. The neuropathy in my mouth is gone. In my finger tips it is much less. My feet still have fairly strong neuropathy. My oncologist said it can take 2 to 3 years to heal, if it does heal (it doesn’t always) because nerve tissue grows at a very slow rate.

• Aparajit Banik says:

Hi Lori,

How are you now and how you doing. Hope all good with you. My mom has been diagonised with same and it’s stage 3 . She is having chemo now total 8cycels will be given in between radiation and oral chemo

Please do let me know if your here .
      Stay blessed
      Regard !

• Helen Barbu says:

My son John went in for blood tests because he is bleeding from the bowels, constipated sometimes and diarrhea the next .His blood test came back , the doctor said his white blood cells and platelets show normal morphology, and there is moderate leukocytosis,
    Don’t know what this means, he has to have a blood test in another two weeks, I’m his mother and very worried, he is 38 years old .

• Munira says:

Dx colon cancer 10 days pistol stage 3b 4 lymph nodes clean edges I am 60 and healthy awaiting chemo in a few weeks what should I do to get through it in a strong way

• Rachel says:

Helen, I hope you and your son have found answers and they do not include the word cancer. I hope that if questions remain unanswered, his physician has recommended he have a colonoscopy. I would not have know about the cancer had I not had the colonoscopy.

• Munira says:

I am 59 diagnosed in September 2018 colon cancer ,surgery with clean margins ,3 positive lymph Nodes.Getting chemo ,stage 3b no metastasis it is mucinous adenocarcinoma,any one of you have that please tell me how you are,my doctors are giving me a good prognosis for cure.

• Aparajit Banik says:

My mother 66, has been disgonised with colorectal cancer T3N2M0 in October 2018
      Her surgery took place by November 2018 and her chemo began by December last week. She will have 8cycles of chemo in total and will follow FOLFOX Regim
      After 4cycels radiation +oral chemo is planned .
      I am not sure if the medicine is working and she will be free from cancer but I m keeping my faith.

To all of you , who has been diagonised with cancer , please be strong and fight your heart out. Never lose faith.

• Bernard Argenio says:

good day!
    I am very interesting about your page it gives me a positive thinking…
    I am diagnosed with colon cancer “adenocarcinoma / rectosigmoid mass” can I ask if I am cure even I don’t undergo surgery, chemo or radiation?//

• I stage 1 rectal cancer was bleeding after going to the bathroom doctor cut out part of my rectum . Had a the ileostomy for three months and then they reversed it. Since then I’ve been having trouble with bowel movements. have trouble going to the bathroom on the toilet for half the daydoctor told me it be 3 months to my valves get regulated and I’ve been 3 months and still same problem. Especially at work it’s hard if I knew this was going to happen I would have got chemo and radiation.

• Louise says:

Gerald – sounds like my diagnosis and treatment and my after reversal surgery. Like you, I had the same bowel movement complications that made working, travel, spontaneity challenging/anxiety producing. Sixteen years later I still have the same complications. Due to my late middle age at the time, I retired from work and activities that caused anxiety and have become increasingly solitary. I’ve learned to value and prefer the simplicity and to appreciate my freedom to respect my body’s preference to be relaxed most of the time. I swim every morning and walk every afternoon and paint/art. Drink lots of water, made diet changes and still experimenting with different food choices. Daring a day long trip to Tasmania soon and will probably take gastro STOP medication so I’m not anxious while I travel – on the other hand I’ll be constipated and passing numerous small balls of poo for the eight days I’m away and worried sick I’ll be incontinent/gastric on the trip home. It’s a bummer all right! Changed my life but I’ve chosen to be respectful of my body the way it is, grateful for the benefits of enforced stability in my case, and to take responsibility for choosing good health and positive thoughts, moment by moment. I wouldn’t change a thing! If I had to sum up the main lesson I learned and am always learning, is to love myself generously, unconditionally and kindly, to choose gratitude and humour every opportunity- over hard done by and pissed off. PS a nutritionist will help monitor your diet gut health (gluten, meat, sugar, dairy in moderation and lots of water – plus exercise- all help my state of mind if not yet managing to help my poops). Cheers ?

• Magdalena says:

Hi , if somebody is here and can answer my questions , My dad who is 46 year old , is having stomach pain and is pooping blood or something … I think there is to blood in the stool. I don’t know how to handle this because he doesn’t want to se the dockter. I just wanted to know if he has colon cancer , does it always when he poops come the blood or like sometimes

• Magdalena says:

He won’t talk to me about that stuff so I want to find out and do something

• Sarah DeBord says:

Magdelenda,

Blood in your stool or rectal bleeding is never normal, but could be a sign of many things. It is important that your dad does see a doctor, even if he doesn’t want to.

• Moses Dogarimo says:

Name is Moses Dogari, CT scan revealed I had colon cancer That was after pains concentrated at right side of abdomen and dark faeces. Vomited any fruits with sourness incuding mango, apple and guava. Surgery was Jan 14. Am wailing for my last lap of 3 wk cycle of chemotherapy. Oxiliplatin intravenous followed by xeloda a week later for 2 weeks. I feel weak at beginning of each cycle for four days. Mild neuropathy in the fingers. Blood white cells lower normal. Now 4300 from 8300. Blood pressure shoots up after chemotherapy. Otherwise fine. Have gained weight. Am positive. M

• Arthur Ludwig says:

Hello I am my name is Art. I am 44 years old and was diagnosed with anal Dysplasia. I had biopsies and had surgery to remove them. I am checked every 6 months and it is very uncomfortable every time I have a biopsy done. For a little over two years now I have been having constipation and it’s so bothersome for me. I eat foods containing fiber and sometimes it works. About a week ago I felt like I had to pass gas and some liquid the color of honey came out of my rectum. It looked oily. I was scared and went to the Er. They did CT Scan of my lower abdomen with contrast and they said everything was fine. I had entermitis and that it would go away. It’s a littler over a week and I still have the pain in my lower abdomen on the left side by the groin. Should I be worried it’s colon cancer? I mean if it were it hasn’t spread as the CT Scan show nothing but the entermitis. I’m very concerned and scared.

• Erin Peterson says:

Hi Arthur – If you are concerned definitely make an appointment to talk with your physician about these additional abdominal symptoms – they can have many causes, but always have them checked.